scanForArduinos (Vicent)
JohnD
2018-12-05 19:54:02 UTC
Message: 3
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:51:25 -0600 (CST)
Subject: scanForArduinos
Hi! I'm using an old laptop (with ubuntu 18.04.1 ) with octave 4.2.2 and
I'm
trying to connect it with an arduino Uno board. (Arduino 1.8.7 IDE)
After running the arduinosetup intruction ( I'm doing this in order to
check
if the laptop can connect to the board) when I try to find the board I'm
always getting an empty string as a result. Any Suggestion?
Thanks.
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373116/portatil_caracter%C3%AD
sticas.png>
When running the arduinosetup command, looking on the Arduino IDE, did you
verify the serial port it detected was OK, set the board type correctly and
upload the code to the Arduino, (and was it successful)

If the scan is still failing, what happens if try to create an Arduino
object:

ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')

NOTE: change the /dev/ttyACM0 to whatever the port your arduino is connected
to.
Vicent
2018-12-05 21:59:30 UTC
Post by JohnD
When running the arduinosetup command, looking on the Arduino IDE, did you
verify the serial port it detected was OK, set the board type correctly and
upload the code to the Arduino, (and was it successful)
My board is UNO and in the IDE apears Genuine Uno, I guess it's the same.
The upload is succesful and the scanForArduinos function is still failing.
Post by JohnD
If the scan is still failing, what happens if try to create an Arduino
ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')
I've checked that it'is the same port than when I've uploaded the firmware
to the board.
Post by JohnD
Post by JohnD
ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')
warning: the 'serial' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read <http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'serial' undefined near line 28 column 22
error: called from
__initArduino__ at line 28 column 20
arduino at line 94 column 16

John Donoghue
2018-12-07 22:48:54 UTC
Message: 4
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 15:59:30 -0600 (CST)
Subject: RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)
Post by JohnD
Post by JohnD
ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')
warning: the 'serial' function is not yet implemented in Octave
Please read<http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'serial' undefined near line 28 column 22
error: called from
__initArduino__ at line 28 column 20
arduino at line 94 column 16
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373116/scanForArduinos2.png>
That error suggests that the instrument-control package is not installed
- or somehow not loaded it is is.

Do you have instrument-control and the arduino package both listed when
pkg list
After running the load for arduino
pkg load arduino
If you rerun the 'pkg list' command, the arduino and instrument control
packages should show a '*' next to them to show that they were loaded.
Vicent
2018-12-08 11:39:31 UTC
Post by John Donoghue
That error suggests that the instrument-control package is not installed
- or somehow not loaded it is is.
Do you have instrument-control and the arduino package both listed when
pkg list
After running the load for arduino
pkg load arduino
If you rerun the 'pkg list' command, the arduino and instrument control
packages should show a '*' next to them to show that they were loaded.
I had the instrument-control package installed and loaded because I could
see the '*' next to the arduino and instrument-control packages, but
probably I had any problem in the installation because I've reinstalled the
instrument-control package again and now everything is working corretly.
scanForArduinos is working , the program to control the servos too.
Thank you very much!!