Octave compiler
Michel
2018-12-04 10:03:49 UTC
Bonjour,

I should like knowing if an equivalent Matlab compiler exists for
Octave. Goal is to create stand-alone executable (.exe) and web-based
applications from Octave programs.

If yes it exists, from what version?

Regards,

Michel

Ian McCallion
2018-12-04 10:28:25 UTC
Hi Michel,

It does not exist, sadly. However launching the octave CLI is fast, so
supplying supply the function name and parameters is operationally
equivalent. I know this because I do it all the time when using my
code "in production".

I imagine the same could be done from your web app although I have
never tried it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers... Ian
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t372860/OctaveCompiler.png>
Michel
2018-12-04 13:45:15 UTC
I found out solutions there:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3843522/how-do-i-create-a-simple-octave-distributable-without-installing-octave

Ian McCallion
2018-12-04 19:34:13 UTC
Hi Michel,

That is only part of the solution and was not necessary in my case
(although I considered it) and I now install Octave on all the systems
that require it.

Passing parameters into Octave is a bit tricky. I have a short
boilerplate .cmd script that I copy and make minor changes to for each
octave function to be called from the command line. The script
combines the commandline parameters into a single string that is
passed into Octave and on to the target function, which then uses a
helper to recover the original parameters. This simplifies development
significantly, because the function can be called from the Octave
commandline too.

If this is of interest I can post the code.

Cheers... Ian
Francesco Potortì
2018-12-04 21:24:14 UTC
web-based applications from Octave programs.
Here you find an example web-based Octave application. You can start
from it as an example:

http://wnet.isti.cnr.it/software/damatfrc/
--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore) Voice: +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR Mobile: +39.348.8283.107