Can't save a plot
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-08 18:43:41 UTC
Dear Sirs,

I have installed OCTAVE 3.6.2 VS2010 on a Windows 7 machine. When i will save a plot using the print or saveas command, I get an error message saying that ghostscript is missing.

I have reinstalled OCTAVE without any change in the error message.

In addition the package symbolic does not install.

Please, help to resolve the problem with saving plots, I really need that capability.

Regards,

Jorgen Sandberg
Nonnedalen 19
DK-4100 Ringsted
Denmark

e-mail: ***@123sandberg.eu
Ben Abbott
2012-11-08 22:37:15 UTC
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
Dear Sirs,
I have installed OCTAVE 3.6.2 VS2010 on a Windows 7 machine. When i will save a plot using the print or saveas command, I get an error message saying that ghostscript is missing.
Instructions for installing ghostscript at on the wiki at the link below.

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows#Printing_.28installing_Ghostscript.29
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
In addition the package symbolic does not install.
How did you try to install the symbolic package?

Have you looked at using maxima for symbolic calculations?

http://maxima.sourceforge.net

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-09 20:01:06 UTC
Dear Ben Abbott,

Thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately, I still have the problem.

I have downloaded Ghostscript 9.05 and installed it. I have added the path
in the /.octaverc file as per the instruction for Octave with Visual studio,
but OCTAVE still can't find ghostscript. I have looked into the ghostscript
installation and in the bin file is gswin32.exe. Thus I guess Octave should
be looking for gswin32.exe. Is that so?

I have also found a Ghostscript version 9.02 that is a tar.gz file like the
other packages for Octave on Sourceforge. Should I download this and install
it as a package in OCTAVE? Will that do the trick?

I am sorry to pass you these stupid problems. I am aware that OCTAVE is free
so I should not complain. However, please understand that I want to spend my
effort on using it in place of struggling with the installation. My wish is
that you prepare a complete installation package for stupid users as I such
that there is no need to install any other packages. Please....

On the symbolic package. I downloaded the package from the sourgeforge.net
site for windows. The name of the package is
octave-3.6.2-symbolic-1.1.0-vs2010-setup.exe. After having installed OCTAVE
3.6.2 I clicked on the package to activate its installation like I had done
it for the other packages available on the same site. But the symbolic
package came with the error message, while all the other packages installed
without any error message.

Again my wish is for a complete package for Windows 7 stupid users as I.

A question if I may. The command window of OCTAVE is rather narrow. I have
looked in the Manual but can't find any command to make it wider. Does
OCTAVE include a command to make the command window wider?

Finally, I use OCTAVE intensively. I save plots by using the snipping tool
in windows, but it is cumbersome. An automatic saving would be preferable,
so that is my reason for trying again and again to make it work.

I find it great to have access to this free software, thus THANK YOU SO
MUCH.

Regards,

Jorgen Sandberg
Nonnedalen 19
DK-4100 Ringsted
Denmark

e-mail: ***@123sandberg.eu

Ben
Ben Abbott
2012-11-09 20:35:28 UTC
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2012-11-09 21:27:41 UTC
Post by Ben Abbott
I can't help with this. Hopefully someone familiar with the symbolic package on windows with help.
The symbolic package is unmaintained and mostly useless. It cannot do
most of the things you would want it to do.

I think the minimum useful thing it could do is work on arrays. If
this is important to you, consider this:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Internal-Precision-Symbolic-tp4645257p4645594.html

- Jordi G. H.
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-10 09:23:10 UTC
Ben Abbott
2012-11-10 15:14:29 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
In addition the package symbolic does not install.
How did you try to install the symbolic package?
Have you looked at using maxima for symbolic calculations?
http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Ben
Dear Ben Abbott,
Thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately, I still have the problem.
I have downloaded Ghostscript 9.05 and installed it. I have added the path in the /.octaverc file as per the instruction for Octave with Visual studio, but OCTAVE still can't find ghostscript. I have looked into the ghostscript installation and in the bin file is gswin32.exe. Thus I guess Octave should be looking for gswin32.exe. Is that so?
I have Ghostscript 8.15 installed. Its binary is gswin32c.exe.
Assuming you have the gs_path environment variable set and have set the path in the Control Panel, you can tell the print command use use gswin32.exe instead by ...
print -dpdf test.pdf -Ggswin32.exe
If that fixes the problem for you, I can patch the sources to include "gswin32.exe" when Octave searches for Ghostscript.
[...]
Sorry, but it does not work.
I have attached a screen snap and a copy of the octaverc file, where I have added the path information. It seems to me that OCTAVE is still looking for a file named ghostscript.
I would highly appreciate that you integrate ghostscript in the installation package for Windows 7, 64 bit. In that way it would work.
Regards,
Jorgen Sandberg
<Install Ghostscript.docx>
When you installed Ghostscript, what was the "Destination directory"?

DId you set "gs_path" to the "Destination directory" in ~\.octaverc?

Using the default destination directory for 32 bit Win7 the adds to include in ~/.octaverc are ...

cmd_path = getenv ("path");
gs_path = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05';
if (isempty (strfind (cmd_path, gs_path)))
setenv ('path', strcat (cmd_path, pathsep (), gs_path));
endi

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-11 14:51:24 UTC
Dear Ben Abbott,

Maybe this info can help clarifying the problem.

I have added to the octaverc file an fprintf of the path before and after
the addition of the path to the gswin64. The print shows that the correct
folder is added to the path.

To verify the path is indeed there I have entered at the command prompt of
OCTAVE system("gswin64.exe") and ghostscript starts up. Thus it is in the
path.

Why does it not start when I enter print -dpdf -Ggswin64.exe test.pdf

Regards,
Jorgen Sandberg

Ben
Ben Abbott
2012-11-11 14:59:11 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
[...]
You can see the ghostscript command used by Octave by adding -debug to your print stattement

print -debug -dpdf -Ggswin64.exe test.pdf

Please copy the result into your reply. Is the correct command being used?

Ben
Ben Abbott
2012-11-11 16:28:54 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
[...]
No, I do not see the correct command. I have attached a screendump. I have also include the system command calling the gswin64.exe and as you can see it works, thus the path to the gswin64.exe is there.
Ok. The gswin64.exe is a GUI program. You'll need to tell print() to use the command line version (see section 4.2 at the link below).

http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Install.htm#Install_Windows

Does the command below work for you (added the "c") ?

print -Ggswin64c.exe test.pdf

Ben
Ben Abbott
2012-11-11 17:43:40 UTC
----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:28 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
[...]
Unfortunately, no it does not help to change to gswin64c.exe. I have attached a new screendump and indeed the gswin64c outputs to the same window as used by Octave.
Ok. Let's back up and check a few things. Does the command below run Ghostscript ?

system gswin64c.exe

If not, what does the following return.

getenv path

If you see 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05\' in the path, what does the command below return ?

dir 'C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs9.05\'

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-11 18:27:23 UTC
Dear Ben,

Yes, the command:

system gswin64c.exe

runs ghostscript in the same prompt window as Octave.

Regards,
Jorgen

2012-11-11 19:30:11 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:43 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:28 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
[...]
I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully, someone else will have an idea.

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-11 20:23:03 UTC
Dear Ben,

In my mind the -G option does not work as intended.

I can only repeat my wish that free source software is also made available
as a complete self-contained installation package for people like me that
wants to use the software and not be bothered with installation problems.
Yes, I ask a lot of people making the software in their spare time. OCTAVE
is not the only free source software package suffering from lacking the last
step to make it user friendly.

In any case thank you for the effort you have done to help me out. You have
spend a fair share of you Sunday on me.

Regards,
Jorgen

2012-11-11 21:06:08 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:30 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:43 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:28 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Jorgen Sandberg
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:35 PM
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
[...]
Octave (like all GPL software) is developed by volunteers. The reason Octave doesn't work as well on Windows as it does on Linux and/or MacOSX is because very few individuals who use Windows are active in development. We appreciate that you've put in a lot of effort on this, and hope you'll continue.

Another problem is that Ghostscript for Windows doesn't always install in the same location, doesn't always have the same name, and by default isn't placed in the command shell's path.

Even so, I'm surprised this problem is so difficult to resolve. What is most frustrating is that I'm able to print from Win7 using VirtualBox on MacOS X.

If you'd like to try to continue, the statement that I suspect is failing is below.

ghostscript_binary = file_in_path (getenv ("path"), "gswin64c.exe")

If that command does work, then I have one more suggestion. Try to set the GSC environment variable.

setenv GSC gswin64c.exe
plot (rand (3))
print test.pdf

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 13:41:22 UTC
Dear Ben,

ghostscript_binary = file_in_path (getenv ("path"), "gswin64c.exe") provides
the path to the file gswin64c.exe.

The statements

setenv GSC gswin64c.exe
plot (rand (3))
print test.pdf

give no error message, but there is no file test.pdf generated. I have also
tried to use

print C:\Temp\test.pdf

but there is no file generated in Temp.

What a pitty that Windows is not tried out when free source software is
developed and made available. Complete packages are much to be preferred
even if it results in programs like Ghostscript to be installed in more than
one place.

Looking back in your mails I get the impression that if I installed
gswin32c.exe ghostscript does not need the -G option, since gswin32c.exe is
the default for ghostscript binary. Is that true?

Regards,
Jorgen

2012-11-12 03:09:53 UTC
Dear Ben,
In my mind the -G option does not work as intended.
I think there is a bug in __print_parse_opts__.m
(at least as of version 3.6.3)

arg_st.ghostscript.binary = file_in_path (getenv ("PATH"), arg(3:end));
if (isempty (arg_st.ghostscript.binary))
error ("print: Ghostscript binary ""%s"" could not be located",
arg(3:end));
else
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__
(arg_st.ghostscript_binary);

Should not the last line be
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__ (arg_st.ghostscript.binary);

?

Dmitri.
Ben Abbott
2012-11-12 13:11:23 UTC
Dear Ben,
In my mind the -G option does not work as intended.
I think there is a bug in __print_parse_opts__.m
(at least as of version 3.6.3)
arg_st.ghostscript.binary = file_in_path (getenv ("PATH"), arg(3:end));
if (isempty (arg_st.ghostscript.binary))
error ("print: Ghostscript binary ""%s"" could not be located",
arg(3:end));
else
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__ (arg_st.ghostscript_binary);
Should not the last line be
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__ (arg_st.ghostscript.binary);
?
Thanks. I seem to have a blind spot for "." and "_"

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/61d08b092a9d

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 13:52:08 UTC
Dear Ben,

Here you lost me. What should I do? Will I have to modify a file, compile it
and load it in some folder?

Or will you prepare a 3.6.4 package of OCTAVE? (my preferred option)

Regards,
Jorgen

Ben
Ben Abbott
2012-11-12 14:46:43 UTC
-----Original Message----- From: Ben Abbott
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Cc: Jorgen Sandberg ; Octave Help
Post by Ben Abbott
[...]
The next release of Octave should include this fix.

You should be able to make the fix yourself to the file indicated. It is located in ...

.../Octave-3.6.2/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/private/__print_parse_opts__.m

Ben

Ben
Doug Stewart
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Cc: Jorgen Sandberg ; Octave Help
Dear Ben,
In my mind the -G option does not work as intended.
I think there is a bug in __print_parse_opts__.m
(at least as of version 3.6.3)
arg_st.ghostscript.binary = file_in_path (getenv ("PATH"), arg(3:end));
if (isempty (arg_st.ghostscript.binary))
error ("print: Ghostscript binary ""%s"" could not be located",
arg(3:end));
else
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__
(arg_st.ghostscript_binary);
Should not the last line be
arg_st.ghostscript_binary = __quote_path__ (arg_st.ghostscript.binary);
?
Thanks. I seem to have a blind spot for "." and "_"
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/**hgweb/octave/rev/61d08b092a9d<http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/61d08b092a9d>
Ben
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 15:20:33 UTC
Dear Doug,

Thanks.

in the meantime i have downloaded gswin32 and installed it.

Now, when I run OCTAVE there is no error message concerning ghostscript, but it says that it can’t find the following:

epstool
fig2dev
pstoedit

What do I do next?

I have searched for epstool on the internet and found a version from 2005. Can I use that one?

Again and again, please prepare a complete package for OCTAVE for Windows 7 (64bit) even if it includes copies of already installed software on my PC.

Regards,
Jorgen Sandberg

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2012-11-12 15:26:17 UTC
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
Now, when I run OCTAVE
Btw, Octave isn't an acronym. There is no need to keep SHOUTING it. :-)

- Jordi G. H.
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 15:52:12 UTC
Dear Jordi,

Sorry to have upset you. I will write Octave in the future.

However, please think of users like me that want to use your free software,
but do not want to fight complicated installation procedures.

I realize that I can't have all for free and that MATLAB is very expensive.
I use Octave a lot and I have trouble only with the print and saveas
commands when I want to save a plot.

I am a software user not a software developer. This is the reason for my
wish to have a complete installation package with all included.

Regards,
Jorgen

2012-11-12 16:17:48 UTC
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
Sorry to have upset you. I will write Octave in the future.
You didn't upset me. :-) I thought it was cute you were shouting
OCTAVE, probably a habit from shouting MATLAB, which is an acronym of
sorts.
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
However, please think of users like me that want to use your free software,
but do not want to fight complicated installation procedures.
Installing Octave isn't difficult because we deliberately want to make
it difficult, but because making it easy for you to install is
difficult for us to do. It just takes work. We will undertake this
work, but bear in mind you're pleading with volunteers to do extra
work for you. Your pleading is more effective if it's accompanied by
involvement (bug fixing or helping other users) or with money:

https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave/

Also note that "free" in "free software" doesn't mean "gratis". Think
freedom, not zero monetary price. You're free to take the Octave
source code and make a better installer if you're not happy with the
current efforts.
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
I am a software user not a software developer. This is the reason for my
wish to have a complete installation package with all included.
Your wishes are noted, but they can't be fulfilled just because you
wish them. I am planning on making a future release of Octave that
will be easier to install on Windows, but I do not plan on
distributing the result without pay. In effect, I plan to make it
easier for people like you to pay for Octave.

Alternatively, you can use a free operating system like GNU/Linux. It
is much easier to distribute free software on a free OS, so it's less
work for us and easier for you to install. Windows and Mac OS X are
hostile environments for free development.

- Jordi G. H.
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 17:28:05 UTC
Dear Jordi,

It is fine with me to pay for Octave when I get an installer that installs
all what is needed to run all features of Octave. I hope it will be much
cheaper than MATLAB.

Please, let me know when you have the install ready for procurement and
hopefully some e-mail based support.

I find it is a great pity that so much work is effectively reserved for
software developers. I am aware that it requires work and testing to prepare
a complete package, but your customer base will increase exponentially. I am
not the only one who is reluctant to use "free software" since we have
experienced that it takes developer knowledge to install and run it.

I recommend you in addition to source forge will have a shop selling
complete packages for people like me that want to use the software and not
be faced with developer level of problems to install and run the software.

Regards,
Jorgen

- Jordi G. H.
c.
2012-11-12 17:49:35 UTC
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
your customer base will increase exponentially
what "customers"?
c.
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 19:06:32 UTC
Dear c.

Those that will use the software. When the "free ware" is not developed to a
stage like commercial software many many potential users will not use it. We
have experienced trouble with installation. missing elements and setting of
parameters in files in Windows that we hesitate to touch. Please, remember
we the average PC users are not software developers who dig into all corners
of the Windows operating system. Our PC has to work every day, so we are
very reluctant to take any risk that may crash the operation of Windows.

Personally I am ready to pay up to 100 US$ for good "free ware" software
when the commercial equivalent cost 500$ or more.

Regards,
Jorgen

2012-11-12 21:05:21 UTC
Dear Jorgen,
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
Dear c.
Those that will use the software. When the "free ware" is not developed to a stage like commercial software many many potential users will not use it.
Why do you think we should care about how many of those people use or don't?
Actually, this discussion is sort of a FAQ, it occurs every now and then that some would be "customer" who is
not familiar with the idea of Free Software tries to explain what Octave should do and what Octave should look
like to gain more "customers".

If you search in the mailing list archives you'll find many of those discussions, that often end up with the
"customer" stating that if Octave developers fail to follow the sacred principles of "Professional Quality
Software", the project will soon die and vanish into oblivion.

This year Octave celebrates its 30th birthday.
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
We have experienced trouble with installation. missing elements and setting of parameters in files in Windows that we hesitate to touch. Please, remember we the average PC users are not software developers who dig into all corners of the Windows operating system. Our PC has to work every day, so we are very reluctant to take any risk that may crash the operation of Windows.
Personally I am ready to pay up to 100 US$ for good "free ware" software when the commercial equivalent cost 500$ or more.
If you are willing to pay for some of the features you need in Octave to fullfill your needs, that is certainly a possibility.
If you make a clear description of the features/services you need we might be able to estimate exactly how much it would
cost to have a qualified developer to satisy your request.
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
Regards,
Jorgen
Regards,
Carlo
Dmitri A. Sergatskov
2012-11-12 21:13:17 UTC
Post by c.
This year Octave celebrates its 30th birthday.
Time flies, but I surely hope it is only 20th....

Dmitri.
c.
2012-11-12 21:15:47 UTC
Post by Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Post by c.
This year Octave celebrates its 30th birthday.
Time flies, but I surely hope it is only 20th....
woops, a small typo or just a wish of a long bright future for Octave ;)
Post by Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Dmitri.
c.

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2012-11-12 20:51:51 UTC
Post by c.
Post by Jorgen Sandberg
your customer base will increase exponentially
what "customers"?
Hopefully the ones we want to sell binaries to.

If it grows from zero to anything nonzero the growth is much higher
than exponential, though. :-)

- Jordi G. H.
Ben Abbott
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Cc: Jorgen Sandberg ; Octave Help
[...]
The utilities (epstook, fig2dev, & ps2oedit) aren't needed for most cases. With ghostscript installed you should be able to print to ps, psc, eps, epsc, pdf, png, jpg, etc.

However, if you are using the "qt" toolkit, then printing doesn't work yet. You'll need to change to either the "fltk" or "gnuplot" toolkit.

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk
plot (rand (3))
print test.png

Ben
Jorgen Sandberg
2012-11-12 18:55:59 UTC
Dear Ben,

I am using qt, so I will try with the fltk.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Jorgen

Ben
Salva Ardid
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Cc: Jorgen Sandberg ; Octave Help
[...]
Is the qt backend still under development? I checked
https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles but last time it was updated is 4 months
ago...

I tried to test it, but after compiling and everything, octave crashed on
startup

Sorry to being off-topic here, I think I should open a new thread, could you
tell me the most appropriate list to do it so?

Thanks,
Salva
Ben Abbott
2012-11-12 20:25:42 UTC
Post by Salva Ardid
Is the qt backend still under development? I checked
https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles but last time it was updated is 4 months
ago...
I tried to test it, but after compiling and everything, octave crashed on
startup
Sorry to being off-topic here, I think I should open a new thread, could you
tell me the most appropriate list to do it so?
Thanks,
Salva
I've built Qt Handles on MacOS X, and it worked for me.

It is also working on Windows (the binaries on sourceforge include it).

I recently asked Michael Goffioul about including qthandles in the Octave 4.0 release. He indicated that the only thing preventing him from integrating qthandles into Octave's code base was lack of his time.

Ben
Salva Ardid
2012-11-12 20:39:07 UTC
Post by Ben Abbott
Post by Salva Ardid
Is the qt backend still under development? I checked
https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles but last time it was updated is 4
months ago...
I tried to test it, but after compiling and everything, octave crashed on
startup
Sorry to being off-topic here, I think I should open a new thread, could
you tell me the most appropriate list to do it so?
Thanks,
Salva
I've built Qt Handles on MacOS X, and it worked for me.
It is also working on Windows (the binaries on sourceforge include it).
I recently asked Michael Goffioul about including qthandles in the Octave
4.0 release. He indicated that the only thing preventing him from
integrating qthandles into Octave's code base was lack of his time.
Ben
Thanks Ben!

I use kubuntu 12.10... I'll try to make some debug and if I find something
interesting I'll post it here...

Salva
Salva Ardid

Salva